Capital Projects Protocol
The University of Tennessee, designated as a State Procurement Agency, administers capital projects greater than $100,000. Capital Projects reports to the UT System Office of Finance and Administration and is responsible for:
- The Department of Capital Projects oversees and manages capital projects from the beginning through completion.
- The Department of Capital Projects is responsible for administrating all agreements with designers and contractors for each project. Any direction or instruction regarding the project must come from the Department of Capital Projects.
- The Department of Capital Projects fully engages campus representatives in progress meetings, design modifications, budget changes, etc. so that all are informed and collectively participate.
- A Department of Capital Projects project manager is assigned to oversee and administer all aspects of the capital project.
- Designers are solicited and selected in accordance with the previously approved State Building Commission (SBC) owner/designer agreement policy and in accordance with the Office of State Architect designer selection policy.
- All designer agreements are reviewed and signed by the OSA prior to execution.
- Designer agreements are approved by the SBC Executive Sub-Committee and administered by the Department of Capital Projects.
- Designer Additional Services must be approved by the OSA and reported to the SBC.
- Construction contractors are selected in accordance with previously approved SBC construction procurement policy.
- All construction contracts are reviewed and signed by the OSA prior to execution.
- Alternative delivery methods require SBC approval.
- Construction change orders must be approved by the OSA and reported to the SBC.
- Capital project revisions in scope, cost estimate, funding sources, and project cancelations require SBC approval.
- The Department of Capital Projects oversees and submits project revisions to the SBC.